1. POSITION VACANT: Chief Executive Officer, Self-Reliant Initiatives through Joint Action (SRIJAN), New Delhi
2. ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND:
Founded in 1997 and registered as a public charitable trust in January 2000, SRIJAN is a grassroots implementation and support agency, committed to promoting sustainable and self-reliant models of rural development through interventions in agriculture, horticulture, natural resource management, dairy and livestock.
Geographically spread over five states, SRIJAN collaborates with the state governments to help build both hard and soft infrastructure for the rural poor. It has been and continues to be in several policy-making bodies of the central government. It has a healthy portfolio of projects with an annual value of Rs. 15 crores and a headcount of 400 direct and indirect staff. It is supported by a range of well-known private donors, such as Tata Trusts, the Ford Foundation, Axis Bank Foundation, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and Azim Premji Philanthropic Initiatives.
SRIJAN’s thematic programmes are integrated into a five circle livelihoods model meant to improve the condition of small and marginal farmers. The five circles are:
(1) Soil and water management;
(2) Bringing appropriate technology related to seed, breed and farming practices;
(3) Establishing credit linkage;
(4) Building a business around value chains;
(5) Aggregating, forming and strengthening community institutions, ground up, such as SHG federations and Producer Companies.
SRIJAN has built community institutions to enhance ownership of the community as well as to build sustainability of programmes. It has an outreach of over 53,000 rural poor families in more than 1,000 villages of about 30 development blocks in 17 districts of five states, namely, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh. Currently, it has nine federations, over five producer companies (one of them crossing a turnover of five crore rupees, another drawing a loan of one crore rupees under warehouse refinance scheme) and under the SHG programme involves more than 20,000 women and has links with financial institutions.
For more information please visit http://srijanindia.org/
The current CEO and Founder of SRIJAN is retiring and shall no longer be involved in its management or governance, but shall be available for advice. SRIJAN is consequently looking for a capable senior development professional, who will take over the leadership role from the outgoing CEO, report to SRIJAN’s Board, and help the organization scale even greater heights.
SRIJAN is a well-managed and respected non-profit in the livelihoods space, in good financial health and has tremendous potential for scale-up and national impact, if led well.
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior development professional to lead a respected, national NGO in the livelihoods space, known for its many initiatives, including the successful establishment of producer companies in specific themes.
3. JOB DESCRIPTION/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
SRIJAN has established a strong participatory culture within, giving primacy to collaborative decision making. The Managing Committee (MC) is equivalent to an internal board and comprises six members. The Operational Policy Group (OPG) has over a dozen members, drawing in every team leader and above in the organization, to deliberate on operational policies. MC and OPG are the embodiment of collective leadership in the organization.
As part of the Managing Committee, the CEO shall guide and facilitate decision-making while persuading colleagues to take bold measures given both the need of the organization, and the changing external environment.
The Founder and outgoing CEO shall be available to guide and mentor the incoming CEO during her/his first year.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
(1) Facilitate the development of a strategic vision for SRIJAN in consultation with the Board and Managing Committee;
(2) Build internal capacity to accomplish action plans and deliver results on the ground, in terms of benefits to the rural poor community;
(3) Oversee the management of projects and ensure the delivery of quality outcomes, in alignment with donor and organizational objectives;
(4) Strengthen the organization as a well-knit unit, where staff have strong bonds with each other and individual goals are aligned with those of the organization;
(5) Enhance the credibility, visibility and influence of the organization through strategic partnerships in an increasingly networked world;
(6) Take the lead in fundraising, by submitting as well as maturing project proposals to institutional donors, partners and the government, with a view to sustaining, as well as significantly expanding operations;
(7) Help institute good governance practices, taking the lead for ensuring transparency, consensus and accountability for key decisions;
(8) Provide strong leadership and oversight to core support functions in the areas of Financial Management, Human Resources and Operations, ensuring that these are efficiently managed and have an internal customer orientation;
(9) Represent the organization to the external world, bringing feedback from the outside world to colleagues within SRIJAN, as well as highlighting the achievements of SRIJAN to the outside world.
4. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES:
The applicant must possess a Master’s degree in Business, Agriculture, Economics, Development Studies, or related field.
(1) At least 10 years of experience in rural development, rural livelihoods or related areas, both at the state and national levels;
(2) Grounded experience of development models that work with marginalized and excluded communities;
(3) Prior experience of Board reporting and working at the executive management level;
(4) Exposure to leading and directing large scale and complex projects; (5) Demonstrated leadership and a track record of working with and representing the organization to government, civil society, philanthropic organizations and other key stakeholders;
(6) Successful fundraising experience.
The ideal candidate shall be a seasoned livelihood professional with the stature and credibility to lead SRIJAN internally, as well as represent it externally to multiple stakeholders, including donors and the government.
Skills and Competencies:
(1) Strong negotiation, advocacy and communication skills, both written and verbal, including excellent presentation skills in English;
(2) Good track record of developing productive relationships with key stakeholders, including government, donors and community leaders;
(3) Strong attention to detail and deadlines, and the ability to balance multiple, complex, competing and demanding responsibilities;
(4) Keen awareness of environmental trends in the field of livelihoods and of potential opportunities that need to be cultivated and exploited to further SRIJAN’s sphere of influence and achievement of its long-term goals;
(5) Strong values of honesty and integrity; and
(6) Deep commitment to creating wealth and well-being for the disadvantaged.
5. COMPENSATION OFFERED:
Gross compensation of Rs. 25-35 lacs per annum, on an all-inclusive basis, has been budgeted for the position. The offer made to the selected candidate shall be commensurate with qualifications, experience and salary history.
6. LOCATION: New Delhi
7. REFERENCE: CEO-SRIJAN
8. CONTACT INFORMATION:
Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd.
1/1B, Choudhary Hetram House,
Bharat Nagar New Friends Colony,
New Delhi 110 025
Phone Nos.: 011- 2684 2162; 4165 3612
9. APPLICATION PROCESS:
Eligible candidates interested in this position, are requested to visit https://goo.gl/vdjSSr and apply along with a cover letter, discussing their interest in and suitability for the position, along with an updated resume, giving details of three references, current cost to organization and expected compensation, by or before March 13, 2018.